James Leroy Wilson's one-man magazine.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Oldies Diary 29 October 2015

My first day of this diary is unusual, and the next few days may be unusual as well. I traveled 220 miles today, so there will be far more songs mentioned today than I think will be normal for this "Oldies Diary." And I won't remember every song I heard today, but I'll mention what stood out. Here's how I rate songs.

Love Will Keep Us Together - Captain and Tennille. 3 Stars.  Good song that still feels fresh because it's not overplayed. And it reminds me of my early childhood with this on the radio or older siblings playing the record.

Small Town - John Cougar Mellencamp. 1.5 Stars. Fit right in with Mellencamp's Scarecrow album, but as a single got tiresome right out of the gate.

Glory Days - Bruce Springsteen. 1.5 Stars. Again, fits right in with Springsteen's Born in the USA album, but as a single got tiresome right out of the gate.

The Joker - Steve Miller Band. 1.5 Stars. Played just too damn much.

Jet Airliner - Steve Miller Band. 4 Stars.  This also gets play a lot, but never gets old to me.

Kodachrome - Paul Simon. 4 Stars. Because it fits into my vocal range and I can sing along without straining.

Sad Songs Say So Much - Elton John. 3 Stars.

Cat's in the Cradle - Harry Chapin. 2 Stars,

Live and Let Die - Paul McCartney & Wings. 

Love Train - The O'Jays. 3 Stars.

Woolly Bully - Sam the Sham. 1 Star.

Groovin' - The Young Rascals 1.5 Stars. Yawn.

Another One Bites the Dust - Queen. 3 Stars. Teetering on "overplayed."

Movin' Out - Billy Joel. 4 Stars.

I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues - Elton John. 3 Stars

Bennie and the Jets - Elton John. 3.5 Stars.

Heart of Glass - Blondie. 4 Stars.

You're So Vain - Carly Simon. 3 Stars. In the "overplayed" territory.

Hungry Like the Wolf - Duran Duran. 3 Stars. Played just enough, and it's their best song.

Rock the Boat - Hues Corporation. 4 Stars for the first #1 disco hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment